Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Keeping Seeds Dry

I am pretty practical (read miser). I was considering how to keep an abundance of various seeds dry without having to resort to stealing little silica packets from coat pockets at stores. (karmic issue)

The light bulb went off in my brain!

Wal-Mart sells little clear plastic containers with a pair of knee high nylons inside at 3 for $1.00. That's 6 pieces. Cut them and twist tie the ends and fill with rice. Don't we put rice in salt to absorb moisture? AH HA!

I have knee highs left over from last year. I used them to dry seeds. They were hanging from a string decorating my little store. If the nylons had enough air flow to allow seeds to dry successfully then it seems to me that there may be enough air flow to allow rice to wick up moisture.

I took a nylon and made the little moisture absorbers. One nylon made 4 absorbers. So, for a buck and change (how much can a bag of rice fill?!) I can make 24 absorbers! I am very pleased.

If anyone reading this sees something that will make this not work, please let me know. Having moldy seeds after working so hard to save and collect would really bite!

No comments: