Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My Fingernails are beginning to need the scrub brush again.

First: The List
What's been planted:
January:

  • 3300 yellow onions (copra)
  • 3000 red onions
  • Lettuces, the dirt list,
February:
  • 200 Celery
  • Lettuces
March: thus far
  • 200 Celeriac
  • 200 Leeks
  • 100 Broccoli
  • 100 Cauliflower
March 13:
  • 50 Jalapeno
  • 50 Cayenne
  • 50 Paprika
  • 20 Volcano
  • 30 Carmen
  • 108 Green Pepper
  • 50 Basil
  • 108 Eggplant
March 15th:
  • 50 Rutgers Tomatoes
  • 50 Romas
  • 30 Amish Paste
  • 30 Cherry
  • 140 Pac Choi (greenhouse)
  • 100 Radish (greenhouse)
  • 50 kohlrabi (greenhouse)
  • 25 European Cukes (greenhouse)
March 16th
For Butterflies and bees:
  • 50 Marigold
  • 24 Pansy
  • 24 Yellow Guilardia (seedling & greenhouse)
  • 24 Calendula
  • 24 Elecampane
  • 12 Mountain Bluet
  • 24 Bachelors Buttons (greenhouse)

Began thinning the carrots in the greenhouse
Lettuce should begin harvest in 2 weeks
1st seeding of radish bulbing up
Tatsoi about 1/2 inch leaf
Spinach on 2nd leaves
Chard is baby size

Last years oregano I thought I killed is all leafing out!

AND, drum roll please, the Meyer Lemon trees are growing new branches everywhere. When I pinch a baby leaf the scent is so strong. I am so excited. I may have lemons!!

The third baby fig started from a branch is budding. Figs are starting to grow on the 2 year old tree and the almost one year old.

I' gonna eat a fresh picked fig in about 4 weeks!!! YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Heaven.

6 more are in the water tables waiting for roots.
I am so, aw gee, umm...well, I am whistling away, a little bounce in the step. I was dripping sweat in the greenhouse seeding away, while it was woahwickedchilly outside. I had to find the scrub brush for my finger nails. And I love it!! Every day that beautiful sun has been just shining away. The promise, that Spring IS coming, (it really is!) starts my each morning. And I am waking up with a smile on my lips an a prayer of gratefulness in my heart and my mind says, "Oh, Thank you."

I have another opportunity to grow as much food as I can, and it will be more, G-d willing, than the year before. I have another opportunity to store as much food as I can, to can as much as I can, freeze as much as I can, expand the root storage, and of course, help other people learn to do this, and of course, sell as much as I can.

I think next winter is going to be rough. For everyone. And we have another opportunity to prepare.

19 CSA Shares remain. And our intern position is till available. We are also looking for that "special someone (s)" to join us, someone who is passionate about surviving whatever may be coming. So, if anyone reading this is curious, give us a ring. Many hands make lighter work.

No comments: